Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Sometimes I watch CNN.

Not very often, but sometimes.


Today, I tuned in during the Election Update show. They were talking about Religion and Politics, and specifically the divide between Christian voters between Obama and McCain supporters.


Not long after I became a Christian, someone told me that if you are a Christian, you are a Republican. It was a lady that worked with me. She said "You can't be a Christian and not be a Republican." I didn't know that. So I said, Oh. Well I guess that makes me one.


(side note: I couldn't have told you the difference between a democrat and a republican if someone had offered me 7 million dollars at this pont in my life. Absolutely no exaggeration. Ask Kelly.)


So without thinking or voting from the age of 19 - 21, I assumed I leaned towards being a republican. But I never told anyone that because, well, I didn't even know what it meant.


But a lot of my friends, my Christian friends, voted for John Kerry. WHAT. Did they realize that John Kerry was A DEMOCRAT? Maybe they didn't know the rule. Maybe they weren't really Christians. Maybe they were secretly part of the Anti-Christ movement of people that claim they are Christian and then secretly vote democrat. I was very, very uncomfortable with this. (note: I was uncomfortable silently.)


Anyhoo, time passed and I learned that most of my Bellingham Christian friends tended to vote democrat, even if they didn't call themselves Democrats perse. So, being utterly confused, I looked into what the differences were between democrats and republicans.


Time passed, blah blah blah, and I now also lean towards the left politically, mostly because of social justice issues. And I (and most of my Christian friends) are very excited about Barack! But I still thought it was a Bellingham thing.


Wrong! Apparently, "a growing number of other young, left-leaning believers are entering the political arena ..... And they are placing social justice issues, like poverty and war, at the intersection of their moral and political decision making."


I knew young people were all like, "Party like Barack!" but I didn't know that lots of Christians were behind him. I thought that was very exciting - it made me feel like I was part of a movement. Like I'm in the 60's.


I'd make a good hippie. Peace, love, hippie Nicole.

3 comments:

KJW said...

Dick Cheney is an atheist. Did you ask the crazy lady years ago, "So, Christians vote Republican, but are Republicans necessarily Christian?"

Way to be left, NicUnCool. Hip bump for social justice.

Anonymous said...

Believe me. Your a republican. If you dont know it now, you will later. You are not a Democrat.

D.I. Zzo said...

I like 'anonymous.' I like him/her because he/she says vague things and tells you that you own "a republican."

Hippie Nicole for President.