Monday, April 28, 2008

Starbucks Bathroom Etiquette

At the Starbucks close to my home in Bellingham, WA, there are two bathrooms. One for boys and one for girls. It's like a normal bathroom, where the door opens right to a small room with a toilet, sink, etc. No stalls.

I have used this bathroom many times. Thus, I have learned the appropriate etiquette.

Rule of the Starbucks bathroom - if you are in it, the light is on. If no one is in it, the light is off.

PROBLEM: Some people do not know this universal code. They just leave the light on when they exit. This presents a problem for me.

If I see the light on underneath the door, I wait outside the door for the person to come out. (Keep in mind I am physically uncomfortable because I have downed a coconut latte and haven't peed in 6 hours.) Then comes the real question - is someone in there? Should I knock? Should I try to open the door?

And THEN, if it IS unlocked, there is still a chance that someone is in there. Oh, hey, surprise visit from Nicole.

World, to avoid this difficult situation, please just follow the rule and make life easier for everyone else.

Light on, you're in there.
Light off, you're not.

No comments: